Etim stared at the rows of cakes and chocolates in wonder, obviously, the supermarket was also getting ready for Valentine’s day. As she battled her cravings, she remembered her dental appointment which was in four days, she shook her head and chuckled. It was her third composite filling in three years, she quickly moved to the fruit section. She knew the drill; more sugar, more tooth decay.
While Valentine paints the city red this February and presents us with so many snacking options, our pearly whites also have a love message for us: If you have to snack, snack healthy.
- Think healthy as you select the Valentine gifts and as you make your restaurant bookings
- Spice up your dates with fruit and vegetable smoothies instead of carbonated drinks
- If you have to take cakes or chocolates, eat them sparingly and with meals
- If you are planning a valentine picnic, try replacing sugary snacks with delicious sandwiches and natural fruit juices
- Chew sugarless gum
- Drink plenty of water and rinse your mouth with water after meals
- Practice good oral hygiene
- Ask your dentist for advice
This Valentine, share your newly-found healthier choices with your loved ones; they might just take away some good lessons from you for the rest of the Year..